Monday, August 3, 2009

Go into the light, children...all are welcome


My last camp out in Canyonlands National Park...I have slipped into my tent...from my pillow there is a dreamy view of steep rocky canyons in the distance...and the moon is almost full...with my nightly International Coffee indulgence, I am deeply involved with a narrative of Butch Cassidy and his Wild Bunch...early evening dreaming, imagining in a past life that I might have had the good fortune of living the life of Ann Bassett...

sideline: as I see it, this falls right in line with the whole Miss Kelly White thing, admittedly in a wild west...ass kicking..cattle rustling...crack shot sort of way...I have, indeed, developed a bigger than life crush on Robert LeRoy Parker...man! those Utah boys are killin' me! and really with an alias like Butch...what's not to love?

...anyway...I have been enjoying my quiet time for a good hour...nothing interrupting my fantasy except the crickets and the intermittent dancing of winds through the sage brush (...that really only added to the notion that Mr. Cassidy was riding hard to hang his hat for a spell between jobs and enjoy a good home cooked meal or two). I can hear the boys are just headed back into camp from stargazing...voices getting closer and closer and all of a sudden I hear a door slam....BANG! and an incredibly loud 'AAAAHHHHH!, oh gawd! ...gross... I'll never do that again!" and a lot of sputtering. coughing and stammering. (visualize, if you will, we have this little area to ourselves and we are about 2 campsites away from the restrooms...) The boys go nuts wondering what has happened...I hear gut busting laughter...Tom comes roaring into camp...my fantasia is lost to the night...

Lesson:
When one is camping and the need arises to use the facilities at night...and those facilities are only made up of a weatherproof structure and a pit toilet...AND there is no power, it would be prudent to turn your headlamp to the OFF position prior to lifting the lid
Fact:
The only thing flies like more sh*t is a bright light at night leading them to salvation!

1 comment:

  1. I just read all of these in one shot because I haven't had 2 seconds since somewhere back in June. I love it. The photos, the commentary and the asides re: cowboys. It couldn't be more perfectly you, and it's great reading. I laughed out loud a couple times.

    I hope I won't be sad when this trip is over! You will keep writing right?

    ReplyDelete