Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Change of Heart



Not only do I not mind this whole camping thing...if it means I can experience hikes like this...I quite like it!

Like the nameless character on to whom Sam relentlessly pushed his Green Eggs and Ham...camping being my savory dish and my boys embodying Sam with the pestering to camp with them that just wouldn't quit...I must concede "hey, I do like hiking in a canyon...I do like camping under the Banyan...I will explore HooDoos here...I will enjoy an after-hike beer..."

My first solo hike...Lower Calf Creek Falls back to the camp site...3 miles...mostly powder sand...AND...ground squirrels, really cool lizards, several dozen trout in Calf Creek (the trail follows this all the way up the canyon), 16...really 16...humming birds all in a 10 feet radius, 3 separate thunder storms that rivaled a bowling match between Zeus and Hera (including bowling ball hail, golf ball size rain drops and lightening a little too close for comfort), the intoxicating scent of Sage Brush (never mind the havoc it plays on your sinuses), crickets galore...meandering thoughts...barefoot...and only passed 2 people in the 110 minutes it took...in a word...amazing!

incredible geography, gorgeous cowboys...Utah...I hate to leave you!








No comments:

Post a Comment