Friday, June 19, 2009

Is this a dream?

Why I agreed to road trip from Seattle to Texas and back for the entire month of July...stopping at every damn dam and enormous ball of string...with 3 boys, 5 bikes, all the camping gear we own and a cooler (thank Buddha, we are not bringing the dog!) well, it's beyond me. When it was made known to me that we would be pulling an RV trailer the second half of the trip...fourteen whole nights, mind you...I quickly called my doctor and requested medication. I wish I liked camping. I mean, I like the idea of it...getting back to nature...hiking rugged terrain...being at one with the earth...the sounds of the wild...smores and campfires...all the other people that camp in July...cleaning up the camp site...the dirt...the smell of campfire smoke that just won't quit...the dirt...the freeze dried food...boys in filthy clothes...no shower...the dirt... ugh!

I could say how I really feel, but instead I am going to pull up my hiking boot straps, pack my propane stove and buck up (for the children's sake) and be a camper...albeit with medication and wine, but a camper nonetheless. That said, I fully intend to visit Hotel Bel-Air promptly upon my return. There I will get lost in the intoxicating scent of jasmine, cleanse my soul with a lovely glass of Duckhorn Merlot and be serenaded by the wonderful Mr. Antonio Castillo de la Gala. Feel free to join me, it will be a little slice of heaven. And truthfully, the thought of it might be the only thing that gets me through the 7000+ miles.

So, not being a writer, you might be asking yourself, "Why is Kelly starting a blog?" or "Geeesh, can't that girl focus on one thing at a time?" all good questions... the answer is this: About 2 years ago I was afforded the opportunity to pitch a show to the executives at Discovery (btw, I know nothing about creating a television show, writing a treatment for a television show, or pitching a television show, but I did it, I know, typical, huh?). It was one of the top 10 experiences of my life, seriously! When the VP of the new channel Planet Green asked what my television background was..."I watch a lot of it" was the reply. To that, they requested a talent tape of me... they had one produced...chewed on it for about 3 months, and had great feedback for me. Ultimately, a travel show was not on the calendar for Planet Green and tweaking it into a lifestyle show just didn't work. They did, however, share my information with other networks and encouraged me to keep at it. This little adventure I am about to embark on will be a rookie stab at this notion...

It was originally billed as Traveling Green with Kelly White. Not to sound vain or anything...but I love the WASPy-ness of that title...(I, not so secretly, wish in another life I was Miss Kelly White from North Carolina....North Cackalacky for you southerners...I can just imagine sippin' a mint julep on the veranda in my best frock, the scent of magnolia blossoms light on the warm breeze, and the faint laughter of the boys down by the pond catchin' fireflies...ahhh!) ...sorry, I got lost there for a second.

Back to the point...first of all, I think that it sounds a bit preachy, like I am going to go on and on about saving the planet and not leaving more than my share of a footprint...blah blah blah...C'mon, I drive a Yukon, kind of compost, take baths every night in a HUGE tub, I mostly recycle...really, this girl is bright grassy green and happy... AND that is not really what I intended, it just sounded so damn good. Wait, that sounds bad...I am all for saving the planet...I do recycle and compost and try to lighten my impact, but I am also realistic and honest. So I don't want to hear any stabbing comments about how lame I am, I do a lot of other things to help! So, with not much thought, I am giving a shot at Diary of an Ardent Adventurer...sounds okay, doesn't it? Not sure if I throw it at a wall it will stick...but what the heck! I can BS with the best of 'em...have smoke and mirrors down to an art form...and really do think I can do anything (except punctuate properly) well, as long as I am talking to people I don't know...preferably men. ...I just might pull this off...ha!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly! This is GREAT! Keep it up - I love it and cannot Wait to read more as your ardent adventure unfolds. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete